Saturday, August 13, 2016

Jin-Jin Lychee Jelly Took My Taste Buds on a Trip


When I first saw the Jin-Jin Lychee Jelly cups, I thought they were mini gelatin cups. I was basically right. I open the cup and smell something sweet. I smelled a scent that smelled like strawberries. It tastes like a smooth strawberry jello, without the red food coloring. The taste is not a fake strawberry taste but almost like I am eating a small strawberry. The small fruit pieces don't have a flavor and add a unique twist to it. It reminds me of fruit jello from when I was a kid. The kind you get in small packs with the hunks of peach or pear.

I got two fruit cups, one was Lychee and the other was Fruits Cup, which looked like a fruit punch flavor. My sister, who is vegetarian, asked me if she could eat these. Me, forgetting that gelatin
ingredients include parts from animals, searched to make sure I could say yes. After some research, I found that these fruit cups do not have gelatin in them. They are instead made with seaweed extract instead of gelatin (). Seaweed extract is usually called carrageen extract as well as Carrageenan and can serve as a substitute for gelatin in mousses as well as soft jelly.

The fruit cup was surprisingly good since I am not a fan of coconut. I could not even taste the coconut, which helped make the food taste even better. I am curious to see how the other flavors taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment